case recommendations? and what I bought on Black Friday

Jon vanaltj-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 2 22:44:37 UTC 2009

On 2-Dec-09, at 5:23 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:

> It seems likely to me that a lot of the time, a reasonably well-chosen
> $40 PSU will be "good enough."

+1

It also depends on your needs.  A basic home office desktop will have
much different power requirements than, to pick a couple examples, a
media server with numerous hard drives or a gaming rig with hungry
graphics card.

Choosing carefully being a key aspect of the "going cheap on the power
supply" strategy.  I have been the victim of random blue screens from
a shoddy unit once, and as a tech have repaired (read: gutted and
rebuilt) machines destroyed to varying degrees when capacitors blew.
All of these were from cheap cases that came with cheap power supplies.

jon