case recommendations? and what I bought on Black Friday

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 2 22:23:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Matthew Godycki <mcg2-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> <quote>
> That's not always the case some of the better case manufacturer's put
> quality power supplies in their cases. Though they tend to put lower wattage
> power supplies in so sometimes you still need to swap. In my case my Antec
> Sonata III 500 came with a 500W 80+ power supply for $110 dollars. BTW I
> would definitely recommend this case. It's designed to be quiet, comes with
> good power and is an very nice design.
> </quote>
>
> I second that.  Been using a variety of Antec Sonata cases.  Great build
> quality and quiet.  They are often recommended for "quiet" systems, along
> with fanless PSUs, etc.

I've got an Antec Sonata I, which has been doing good service for
several years now.  Virtually silent, and with large, low speed fan
which is quiet and which may be expected to last well.

It may be that [as commented by Lennart up+downstream] it doesn't have
a particularly fabulous power supply; perhaps the PSU doesn't have as
many watts as it is claimed to have.

However, the Antec PSUs *are* clearly a lot better than the ones that
come in the $40 cases, and if their PSUs don't *precisely* conform to
claimed specs, the difference is likely to be fairly small (as seems
the case with the Thermaltake that Colin pointed out), being a
"percentage difference" as opposed to "possibly several binary orders
of magnitude worse."

It seems likely to me that a lot of the time, a reasonably well-chosen
$40 PSU will be "good enough."
Ogden Nash  - "The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up,
it's always a cat." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/ogden_nash.html