case recommendations? and what I bought on Black Friday

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 2 19:44:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 02:15:12PM -0500, Mark Lane wrote:
> The problem with sub $50 dollar cases with power is that the power supplies
> are crap. They don't come with PFC and wattage ratings fairly exaggerated.
> Now you can swap the power supply with something better than what comes with
> the case. The other problem with cheap cases is that they tend to have sharp
> edges.
>
> Personally I would recommend Antec or Chenbro cases and power supplies with
> PFC and 80+ certified. You may have to pay $100+ for a case and power but
> it's worth the investment.

I love the silverstone TJ-04B case myself and have used it a number
of times.  Of course it is around $130 without a power supply, but well
worth it.  The only problem I have ever encountered was that a GTX275 card
does not actually fit in the case.  Applying a dremel to one of the 4 HD
bays fixes it though, although you drop to 3 HD bays usable in that case.
A bit unfortunate.  The TJ-09B is really nice and fits anything you
could ever want to throw in a computer.  At $300 or so it better.
I have only used one of those so far.

$70 to $100 for a power supply is perfectly reasonable.  Anything less
is generally too crappy.

--
Len Sorensen