case recommendations? and what I bought on Black Friday

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 2 20:32:04 UTC 2009

On 12/2/09, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 02:15:12PM -0500, Mark Lane wrote:
>> The problem with sub $50 dollar cases with power is that the power
>> supplies
>> are crap. They don't come with PFC and wattage ratings fairly exaggerated.
>> Now you can swap the power supply with something better than what comes
>> with
>> the case. The other problem with cheap cases is that they tend to have
>> sharp
>> edges.
>>
>> Personally I would recommend Antec or Chenbro cases and power supplies
>> with
>> PFC and 80+ certified. You may have to pay $100+ for a case and power but
>> it's worth the investment.
>
> I love the silverstone TJ-04B case myself and have used it a number
> of times.  Of course it is around $130 without a power supply, but well
> worth it.  The only problem I have ever encountered was that a GTX275 card
> does not actually fit in the case.  Applying a dremel to one of the 4 HD
> bays fixes it though, although you drop to 3 HD bays usable in that case.
> A bit unfortunate.  The TJ-09B is really nice and fits anything you
> could ever want to throw in a computer.  At $300 or so it better.
> I have only used one of those so far.

I will echo a thumbs up for Silverstone cases. My most recent case
purchase was a Silverstone Grandia GD04 microATX case, just over $100
without a power supply. In my books expensive, but VERY nicely built
with 3 included 120 mm fans and holes made for (but not included) 2 x
80 mm fans.

> $70 to $100 for a power supply is perfectly reasonable.  Anything less
> is generally too crappy.

Well, I put in a Thermaltake TR-2 430 watt power supply in the above,
~$40. Not a great power supply, but decent value for the money.