Virtual secondary screen on another screen

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 1 23:34:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 02:16:32PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> > The source forge project for Synergy has been abandoned by it's maintainer.
>> >
>> > Another group has taken it up as:
>> > http://code.google.com/p/synergy-plus/
>>
>> I hope they get to the point of getting "Synergy-plus" added to Debian
>> & Ubuntu some time soon.  The "legacy" version is part of the default
>> repositories.
>>
>> I'm not particularly keen on managing the deployment of binaries; I'd
>> *much* rather use dpkg :-).
>
> Well they do have .deb's at that site.  That is not a bad start.
>
> http://synergy-plus.googlecode.com/files/synergy-plus-1.3.4-Linux-i686.deb
> or
> http://synergy-plus.googlecode.com/files/synergy-plus-1.3.4-Linux-x86_64.deb
>
> You can install that with dpkg (and more importantly remove it again).

Indeed, and I have tried them.

>> This pointed me to the need to deploy this on my desktop & laptop at
>> the office.  The last time I'd tried it, I had tried to get it to work
>> with MacOS as well, which didn't turn out particularly happily.
>> Today, staying with Linux, turned out fine...
>>
>> What I still need to get working is to have cfengine spawn synergys on
>> my desktop and synergyc on the laptop...  Alas, that doesn't seem to
>> be happening quite flawlessly :-(.
>>
>> The overall notion works mighty nicely!  It's making my laptop a lot
>> more useful than it was!

A bit of warning...  I'm running into a pretty serious problem which
seems to be recorded (for synergy-plus) as problem #9:
http://code.google.com/p/synergy-plus/issues/detail?id=9

The nature of the problem is that if I swap mouse back and forth a
couple of times between desktops, the secondary screen seems to think
I've got [Ctrl] held down.

I'm observing it as I type now...  I'm typing on my "desktop machine."

If I mouse over to the right, the cursor appears on the laptop...

And anything I type is treated as if I'm holding [ctrl] down.

Entertainingly, I'm seeing this phenomenon with both the elderly
"synergy 1.3.1", which is what Debian has, as well as with the
downloaded package of "1.3.4" of synergy-plus.

Some have reported that pressing all the "meta-ish" keys lets the
client get un-deranged.  That's not happening for me. :-(
Samuel Goldwyn  - "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be
right, but I am never wrong." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html