Interesting one day sale by sony.

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 1 16:18:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Darryl Moore <darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like a neat deal though.  Oh well I don't need a small laptop,
>> my 15.4" thinkpad is just fine.
>>

> Heh, 15.4 eh?
>
> I've got an extra 4.6" on you with a full 20" laptop. Well, it weighs in
> at a monstrous 17 pounds so I guess it is more of a lap-breaker than a
> laptop.
>
> I'm in the market for a small 10" or so machine for those places where
> my behemoth is a little too big. If you see any good deals on those
> please let the list know.
>
> cheers,
> darryl

Is there actually an official naming scheme? I've somewhat thought of it as:

* 12" or under: Notebook/netbook
* 12-17" : laptop
* over 17" : "mobile desktop"

It seems to me that this Sony "on sale" is still more than comparable
PC's of other brands, and especially more at the regular price. The
last few Sony's I seem have definitely been anything but
rugged/reliable as well, though some of the older (Pentium II) era
mini-notebooks were pretty good. Most of the people I know who still
buy Sony's are generally overseas students who have some attachment to
the brand name.

Certainly this is a good deal compared to the regular price, but how
do Sony's these days compare to similar machines of other brands?