Interesting one day sale by sony.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 1 16:25:05 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 08:18:36AM -0800, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> Is there actually an official naming scheme? I've somewhat thought of it as:
>
> * 12" or under: Notebook/netbook
> * 12-17" : laptop
> * over 17" : "mobile desktop"

No there isn't.

After all the early portables had maybe 6 or 7" screen, and were certainly
nothing more than mobile desktops at best.  Lots of laptops used to be
under 12".  They also used to have dualscan screens (terrible stuff).

> It seems to me that this Sony "on sale" is still more than comparable
> PC's of other brands, and especially more at the regular price. The
> last few Sony's I seem have definitely been anything but
> rugged/reliable as well, though some of the older (Pentium II) era
> mini-notebooks were pretty good. Most of the people I know who still
> buy Sony's are generally overseas students who have some attachment to
> the brand name.

Well the carbon fibre (rather than plastic) case doesn't help, and
unlike other devices that size, it actually has a real CPU (not a slow
poke atom) and twice the ram of a netbook, and it has a DVD-RW drive.
So it has more than a netbook, while being almost as small and just as
light and probably more durable.  I don't think that necesarily makes
it worth $1000 and certainly not $1800.  Carbon fiber is cool though.

> Certainly this is a good deal compared to the regular price, but how
> do Sony's these days compare to similar machines of other brands?

Don't know.  Seen any 11" ultra portable carbon fiber laptops around
lately?  I haven't.  I don't know what to compare it to.

--
Len Sorensen