Squid setup help

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 29 01:22:29 UTC 2009

On 08/28/2009 09:04 PM, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine is moving to a less than democratic country that
> filters web access. I want to setup a really simple proxy server for her
> to use so that she can stay in touch with her friends and family via
> facebook (blocked there, atm).
>
> I've been looking through the squid3 docs but it's a bleeping novel.
> Searching for sample configs fail to work, too. I freely admit this
> might be a pebkac issue. I've never really looked into nor cared much
> about proxies.
>
> Can someone here give me a hand or sample config file for setting up
> squid? I've got a small server with a single Internet-facing IP address.
>
> I think I want a transparent, non-caching proxy server. She uses
> Firefox, so I don't care about IE issues. Lastly, I don't know what her
> IP will be nor do I know if it will stay within a given range. The
> config files I've found so far all seem to expect you to know the IP
> range you want to allow.

I think you might find that OpenVPN is an easier solution. Perhaps
that's just because I'm not sure how squid will handle DNS requests --
if it leaks and your friend's country limits access by DNS (in whole or
in part), squid might still not work for her. I know you can specify DNS
servers in squid's config though so maybe it is a non-issue.

It just seems that, while a cache might make access faster, OpenVPN
tunnels everything by design, e.g. it is explicitly designed to be
secure and to achieve the functionality you're after. Squid, not so
much, it's more of an everyperson's reverse cache/proxy/accelerator etc.

My $0.02.

Jamon