Squid setup help

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 29 01:04:56 UTC 2009

Hi all,

   A friend of mine is moving to a less than democratic country that
filters web access. I want to setup a really simple proxy server for her
to use so that she can stay in touch with her friends and family via
facebook (blocked there, atm).

   I've been looking through the squid3 docs but it's a bleeping novel.
Searching for sample configs fail to work, too. I freely admit this
might be a pebkac issue. I've never really looked into nor cared much
about proxies.

   Can someone here give me a hand or sample config file for setting up
squid? I've got a small server with a single Internet-facing IP address.

   I think I want a transparent, non-caching proxy server. She uses
Firefox, so I don't care about IE issues. Lastly, I don't know what her
IP will be nor do I know if it will stay within a given range. The
config files I've found so far all seem to expect you to know the IP
range you want to allow.

Thanks all!

Madi