pstools (server) for Linux

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 27 18:04:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:06 PM, bob 295<icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have an existing piece of Windows code which calls pstools under the hood to
> do things like list processes running,  kill a specific process and then
> restart it.
>
> The process in question has moved from a Windows platform to a Linux server
> and I'm trying to plumb back the previous functionality.
>
> Certainly ssh/scp can work from the Windows side but that involves starting up
> separate processes etc. rather than using the "seamless" way it used to work.
>
> bob
>

> On Wednesday 26 August 2009 02:34 pm, Marcelo Cavalcante wrote:
>> Hello..
>>
>> I Didn't get it...
>>
>> What you want is transfer files from Windows to Linux/Linux to Windows
>> using ssh/scp? o.O
>> If yes, you could try WinSCP to connect to a remote Linux machine and
>> transfer your files.
>>
>> It's what you want? Forgive me if not.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> ---
>>
>> -  °v°   Marcelo Cavalcante Rocha / Kalib
>> - /(_)\  Usuário Linux #407564 / Usuário Asterisk #1148
>> -  ^ ^   GNU-Linux - Livre, Poderoso e Seguro
>> - TUX-CE Member - www.tux-ce.org
>> - Archlinux-br Developer Team - http://archlinux-br.org
>> - KDE Brasil Member
>> - TLUG Member - Toronto Linux User Group
>> - http://www.marcelocavalcante.net
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:37 PM, bob 295<icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> > I know that ssh/scp can do all the things that Windows folks do with
>> > pstools.
>> >
>> > Nonetheless is there a Linux TCP/IP server which can allow the Windows
>> > pstools to transparently manage a remote Linux server,  in much the same
>> > way as SAMBA allows the file system to look transparent?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > bob
>> > --
>> > The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>> > TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

I recently worked up a daemon for other purposes that would probably
suit your needs on the linux end. It's perl-based, and allows a
connection via SSL where you can execute predefined commands.

########

Server-side has a configuration file like:
[global]
  ; Enable debug messages (console only right now)
  debug=1

  ; Port to listen for TCP/IP connections
  port=1234

  ; Password for connections
  password=thecakeisalie
  allow_empty_password=0
  max_children=5

[commands]
  show-motd=/bin/cat /etc/motd
  change-date=/bin/date ${DATE}

########

If you were to enter the commands via SSL-telnet, it would look like
telnet -z ssl someserver
  AUTH thecakeisalie
  RUN change-date 0827110299

Assuming that windows has some form of Socket+SSL module for your
language of choice, it shouldn't be too hard to program a client for
this (the only client I have is also for Linux).