suggestions on UPS for linux / esx

Mark Lane lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 25 01:28:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> How is this one can anyone say?
>

> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1815470&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs
>
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Keith Mastin<kmastin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 13:16 -0400, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> I am wanting to use a UPS for 2 servers at work. One is linux one is
> >> ESX3.5i. I am hoping to have it stablize the current (we have problems
> >> with power surges) as well as tell the machines to turn off if there
> >> is no power.
> >>
> >> I am looking for compatibility with Linux (so the Linux server
> >> understands the call from the UPS to shut it down as well as ESX).
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >
> > See powerware.com. Check out the series 9 for full power control (a bit
> > pricey), otherwise go through the lower level series. Priced reasonably,
> > serviced locally by the airport (APC is serviced in Rhode Island), and
> > excellent quality service and support.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Keith
> >
> > --
> > The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

I have an Ultra and it works fine in Windows. It's suppose to have Linux
Support but according to the reviews it doesn't work. I haven't tried it
myself yet.

Personally, I wouldn't use it for a server. I would go with PowerWare as
they are the best available.

--
Mark Lane <lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>