OT: Website CMS

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 24 18:39:45 UTC 2009

On 23/08/09 10:43 PM, Andrej Marjan wrote:
> On August 23, 2009 09:36:07 pm Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I am trying to decide on a web framework to use to redesign my
>> personal website with so I can use it to build a community site. I
>> have heard of Drupal, and lately I heard about Django from Clifford.
>
> Rails and Django are app frameworks, Drupal is a CMS (like Joomla or PHP-
> Nuke).

I find those distinctions to be artificial and specious. I doubt you'd
even get agreement on what a CMS is.

> You can also press blog software like Wordpress or Moveable Type into
> more generic web CMS duty.
>
> Unless you specifically want to build your own CMS, then you probably don't
> want to start from scratch with Rails or Django, and would be better served by
> checking out the existing CMS's. Most CMS's can be extended with plugins,
> either pre-built or ones you custom-build.

You can do that with Django too and I'd be very surprised if Rails
didn't have some mechanism for extending a Rails app. And if you insist
that you want to use something where someone else has made some
decisions for you and called it a "CMS", take a look at
<http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/CMSAppsComparison>.

Pinax <http://pinaxproject.com/> takes a different approach. It's
creators have taken the most popular Django apps and integrated them so
that you have an "out of the box" social networking site. You have all
the goodness of Django without compromising too much.

> Note that building a full blown (and secure) CMS is not easy -- just look at
> the security track record of the favourites, like Joomla, Drupal and
> Wordpress.

Perhaps it's because they're written in a language with a notoriously
poor track record. In the article "Risk report: Four years of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 4"
<http://magazine.redhat.com/2009/03/10/risk-report-four-years-of-red-hat-enterprise-linux-4/>,
you'll notice that only one language gets a category onto itself, PHP.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis