Migrate MySQL... or not...

tug tug.williams-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 21 13:20:11 UTC 2009

Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, tug wrote:
>
>> At TLUG meetings I've heard negative comments about MySQL, and that
>> Postgres is a better option. If I've got to go through hoops (aka
>> read manuals and look at log files) to get the database migrated,
>> should I also consider switching databases?
>
> MySQL vs Postgres is like vi vs Emacs or Linux vs FreeBSD.
>
> The reality tends to show that each has advantages over the other
> depending on the workload.
>
> Even if you found that Postgres was faster than MySQL for your
> application it is unlikely that the difference would be enough for
> your to care. Under low load the bottleneck probably isn't the DB at all.
>
> OTOH the best way to learn about an app is to use it, so if you want
> to get experience with Postgres, then by all meants switch over.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob

Thanks for the responses... I was worried about backing the wrong
(unmaintained) horse... I just use a database as a place to store data,
and don't really care which (open source) - INSERT, UPDATE, SELECT and
DELETE are all I use.

If ever I develop a prototype killer app, I will be sure to consult a
database expert :)

Tug