suggestions on UPS for linux / esx

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 18 22:08:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 11:08:16AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Today's Ted Hot Deal of the Day from Dell is a different APC UPS.  By
> the small quoted "starting from" price, I infer it isn't as good:
>
> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=hotdeals_redhot&redirect=1
>
>     APC Back-UPS RS 1500 LCD - UPS - 865 Watt - 1500 VA 120 V UPS System
>
>     Starting From		$269.99
>     You Save		$80.00
>     Now		$189.991

A BackUPS is nothing like a SmartUPS.  Lower runtime, much lower quality
(and less than half the price too).

At 500W load, the BackUPS RS 1500 expects 11 minutes run time.  A SmartUPS
1500 expects 18 minutes.

The RS has 6 powered outlets and 2 surge protected outlets.  The SU
has 8 powered outlets.  The SU promises +/- 5% output voltage control.
The RS makes no promises.  The SU can power 980W of load, the RS 865W.
The SU has sine wave output, the RS does not.  The SU recharges in 3
hours, the RS takes 8 hours.  The SU puts put 135BTU/hour the RS puts
out 180BTU/hour (so much less efficient).  The SU has USB and serial
ports.  The RS is USB only.  The SU has a 0.3% surge let through.  The RS
has a 5% surge let through.  The SU weighs 24kg, the RS weighs 11kg.
There is clearly a difference there.

--
Len Sorensen