suggestions on UPS for linux / esx

Mark Lane lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 12 16:08:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am wanting to use a UPS for 2 servers at work. One is linux one is
> ESX3.5i. I am hoping to have it stablize the current (we have problems
> with power surges) as well as tell the machines to turn off if there
> is no power.
>
> I am looking for compatibility with Linux (so the Linux server
> understands the call from the UPS to shut it down as well as ESX).
>
> Any suggestions?

I use to sell UPSes that were used for Beowulf Clusters. You will want to
make sure that you purchase a line-interactive UPS. You can get cheaper
UPSes that will not properly protect from Surges and brownouts so don't buy
the really cheap stuff.

While APC is popular, battery life is not the best. If you are willing to
spend a bit more, I would look into Eaton's PowerWare line.

http://powerquality.eaton.com/canada/

Westburne is the Canadian Distributor but the tend not to know much about
the UPS line. They can put you in touch with the PowerWare guys though if
you have any questions.

--
Mark Lane <lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>