OT: Old Television Books

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 16 04:14:38 UTC 2009

[This message is just old-fogey talk.  You may wish to skip it.]

| From: James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| Back in those days, I had an IMSAI 8080, which was a better built clone
| of the Altair 8800

I still have my Altair 8800.  I haven't turned it on in years.

The IMSAI sure was better built.  But the Altair is more iconic.

| You'll notice the red & blue switches on the front panel.  These here
| are set up for someone who liked to work in hex.  On mine, I set them up
| for octal, because the Intel 8080 instruction set opcodes were easily
| remembered if you worked in octal.  Not so in hex.

I wrote a monitor and burned it into EPROM (using a Bytesaver(TM)) so
I didn't have to use the switches very much.  It included a
disassembler and an assembler so that I didn't have to use hex or
octal very much.

We used an audio tape drive for files.  I never did get a disk drive.

I wrote more but I'm saving the list from even more old fogey stuff.