Hardware recommendations, please

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 14 21:19:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 01:23:39PM -0400, ted leslie wrote:
> your right on about the dimension, there is little use for wide screen except for movies,
> eevrything else on web is portrait,
> i got a HP 30" and you just take out the 4 bolts on the back,
> rotate, and i have a 30" portrait monitor,
>
> on a different note,
> watch out fir burn in, i thought
> burn in was virtually impossible on LCD, and from what i read,
> it sort of is,
> but on the HP (googling, i see it as a know issue),
> leave your computer screen on  (with image) for >12 hours,
> and it will leave a bit of residue there,
> do that for days (like i did), and now i have what looks like a "stain"
> where i had my background image :(
>
> i am thinking of getting a another hp 30" and having a nvidia twin view set up (to both).
> i also find having more of a square set up (or portait), give best view of all the data,
> with respect to not having to do a lot of head movement.

I have never heard of any burnin happening on an LCD.  Not really sure
how it could happen either.  Plasma sure, and CRT certainly, but LCD?

A quick google search does mention image persistence issues with LCD
screens although they are apparently not a big deal in general assuming
you turn off your screen when you leave or have your screen saver do
something.

--
Len Sorensen