Hardware recommendations, please

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 14 17:36:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:17:34PM -0400, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>    I am also planning to buy an LCD monitor in the 22" to 24" range,
>    perhaps
>    <http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=022917&cid=888.MT.863>.
>
>    What do I look for?

Depends what you care about.

I personally have a Dell 2407WFP and my wife now has a Dell 2408WFP.
Both bought when they went on sale.  I paid $430 for the 2408WFP earlier
this year.  They are PVA panels which are probably the best LCD screens
you can get (IPS is very nice, but seems to only exist in the 30" models).
Most LCDs use TN screens which have much worse viewing angles, often
less even colour, often are 6bit rather than 8bit per channel and hence
dither or fluctuate pixels to emulate full 24bit RGB support.

Personally I have no problem paying $430 for a 24" screen that I expect
to use with multiple computers over the next 10 years.  Given 10 years
ago a 20" CRT would set you back $3000, what is $430 for a 24" really?

I am one of those people that research things to death, then buy the
best and use it forever.  Buying cheap has always disappointed me in the
past and resulting in having to just go buy something else to replace
it later.

--
Len Sorensen