Permission issue assistance

Chris F.A. Johnson cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 9 03:05:21 UTC 2009

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009, William Muriithi wrote:

> Len,
>
> Sorry, I stepped out of the house before you responded.
>

> > You probably just need write permission to the directory to delete
> > a file.  Write permission to a file simply permits changing the contents
> > of the file.
> >

> My directory permission are as follow:
>
> drwxrwxrwt   67 root nagios 40960 Aug  8 22:41 tmp
>
> The directory is owned by root and group nagios

STICKY DIRECTORIES
       When the sticky bit is set on a directory, files in that
       directory may be unlinked or renamed only by root or their
       owner. Without the sticky bit, anyone able to write to the
       directory can delete or rename files. The sticky bit is
       commonly found on directories, such as /tmp, that are
       world-writable.

   Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster         <http://woodbine-gerrard.com>