Permission issue assistance

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 9 02:45:37 UTC 2009

Len,

Sorry, I stepped out of the house before you responded.

> You probably just need write permission to the directory to delete
> a file.  Write permission to a file simply permits changing the contents
> of the file.

My directory permission are as follow:

drwxrwxrwt   67 root nagios 40960 Aug  8 22:41 tmp

The directory is owned by root and group nagios

The file has the following properties.

-rw-rw-rw-  1 nobody 4294967295 1 Aug  7 16:20 /tmp/.run_challenge_update

However, I run the script from an account called william

> What error do you get?  What permissions does the directory with the
> file have?

rm: cannot remove `/tmp/.run_challenge_update': Operation not permitted

Thank you for you assistance. I really appreciate.

William