GamerRe:CentOS Project Administrator Goes AWOL

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 7 21:13:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 04:53:59PM -0400, Michael Lauzon wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 16:49, Lennart
> Sorensen<lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > You can easily do:
> > $1250 for the CPU
> > $500 for the motherboard
> > $500 for ram
> > $500 x 2 for video cards
> > $300 for power supply
> > $300 for a nice case
> > $500 on some HDs
> > $2000 on a nice 30" screen
> > etc.
> >
> > --
> > Len Sorensen
>
> Here is my build:
>
> CPU: Intel Core i7 965 @ 3.2GHz
> Mobo: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
> RAM: G.SKILL Pi Black DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 6GB CL 8-8-8-21
> Vcard: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2
> HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB (2)
> DVD: LG GH22NS30 DVD Writer
> PSU: Corsair HX1000W
> OS1: Windows XP Professional
> OS2: Windows Vista Home Premium x64
> Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
> Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 245T
> Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
> Mouse: Razer Lachesis Wraith Red
> Mousepad: Razer Destructor

In my case I used:
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D) @ 2.66GHz
Motherboard: Asus P6T
RAM: G.SKILL F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24
(because I actually want to be able to use all 6 slots with this kind of
ram later.  The 1600 ram can not be used with more than 3 sticks total).
Vcard: EVGA GTX 275 OC (I don't put up with ATI drivers or customer
support).
HDD: 2 x WD5000AAKS (leftover from mythtv upgrade to WD1001 drives)
DVD: I think I got some LG DVD writer too
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610.  (I like single rail designs and
it is quiet)
OS1: Debian Unstable
OS2: Windows 7 RC
Case: Silverstone TJ-04B
Monitor: Dell 2408WFP
Keyboard: Logitech Internet 350
Mouse: Logitech Nano VX
Mousepad: Ehm, something I had lying around

Of course the purpose of this box isn't technicly gaming, but actually
computer science work since that is what my wife is currently working
on a PhD in and it is her machine now.  You can do a lot of work on
a GTX275.  About 1Tflop if 32bit floats are precise enough for you.
The 4 core (8 thread) 920 does nicely too.

I was a bit surprised that my favoured case (the TJ04) actually had a
problem in this case.  The GTX 275 does not fit in the case.  I had to
use a dremel on one drive bay on one side of the HD cage to add an extra
2 cm of space for the video card.  That was a first.  Next time I will
probably use the TJ09 instead.

--
Len Sorensen