GamerRe:CentOS Project Administrator Goes AWOL

Michael Lauzon mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 7 21:29:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 17:13, Lennart
Sorensen<lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> In my case I used:
> CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D) @ 2.66GHz
> Motherboard: Asus P6T
> RAM: G.SKILL F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24
> (because I actually want to be able to use all 6 slots with this kind of
> ram later.  The 1600 ram can not be used with more than 3 sticks total).
> Vcard: EVGA GTX 275 OC (I don't put up with ATI drivers or customer
> support).
> HDD: 2 x WD5000AAKS (leftover from mythtv upgrade to WD1001 drives)
> DVD: I think I got some LG DVD writer too
> PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610.  (I like single rail designs and
> it is quiet)
> OS1: Debian Unstable
> OS2: Windows 7 RC
> Case: Silverstone TJ-04B
> Monitor: Dell 2408WFP
> Keyboard: Logitech Internet 350
> Mouse: Logitech Nano VX
> Mousepad: Ehm, something I had lying around
>
> Of course the purpose of this box isn't technicly gaming, but actually
> computer science work since that is what my wife is currently working
> on a PhD in and it is her machine now.  You can do a lot of work on
> a GTX275.  About 1Tflop if 32bit floats are precise enough for you.
> The 4 core (8 thread) 920 does nicely too.
>
> I was a bit surprised that my favoured case (the TJ04) actually had a
> problem in this case.  The GTX 275 does not fit in the case.  I had to
> use a dremel on one drive bay on one side of the HD cage to add an extra
> 2 cm of space for the video card.  That was a first.  Next time I will
> probably use the TJ09 instead.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

The Rampage II Extreme can handle up to 24GB of DDR3-1600 in triple
channel using and even higher than 1600, usually with a BIOS update,
however for some reason the RIIE is using chipset software from before
the X58 came out, and I have no idea why there's been no updates to
the firmware there.  There was a hidden feature for my mobo, it
mentions it can do triple SLI, but then in the manual it mentions
under Vista that it can actually do triple CrossfireX as well, yet
it's never mentioned anywhere else.

--
Sincerely,

Michael Lauzon