P1 128RAM

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 7 20:51:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 04:46:06PM -0400, edward chin wrote:
> Thanks to all for your suggestions. Len, again, seems to have gotten
> it just right.
> So far, the only recent distro to work is Debian, but configuring and
> learning to navigate a new desktop is a chore. The best solution seems
> to be Knoppix 3.2,  3.4,  or 3.7  which I have. I would try mandriva
> 6.5 if I could find it.
> Since this acer entra mmx P1 233 is too slow for video to play
> properly - email, slow surfing, and word processing seem to be its
> limit. I'm not sure who to give this to.  The hdd is 2gig so there is
> a little gain over the win98 on it previously.
> The video improved with a newer (1998) pci video card. I upped the ram to 256.

Debian includes packages for all the desktops.  It just defaults to gnome
(which is probably the most reliable and mature although also probably
the least interesting).

Installing the 'kde' or 'kde-full' package should yank that in.  There are
packages for xfce and others as well.

The display manager login should have a menu for selecting which of the
installed desktop environments you want to use.

--
Len Sorensen