P1 128RAM

David J Patrick djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 7 21:35:08 UTC 2009

edward chin wrote:
> Thanks to all for your suggestions. Len, again, seems to have gotten
> it just right.
> So far, the only recent distro to work is Debian, but configuring and
> learning to navigate a new desktop is a chore. The best solution seems
> to be Knoppix 3.2,  3.4,  or 3.7  which I have. I would try mandriva
> 6.5 if I could find it.
no, no, not like that! modern knoppix will want more steam than that,
and Mandriva will be about as big and NOT debian (rpm-based).
You just need the debian install CD, or the net.install CD.
the set up is text based, but not scary, and you can choose what basic
options you want at install-time.
<plug>
Of course, if you don't want to download and burn the disk yourself, and
you can't find another caffe that bakes muffins and burns distros,
linuxcaffe will make you any free software CD for $6
</plug>
I might recommend openbox or fluxbox, as a desktop, and forget about
openoffice, you'll want abiword and gnumeric. Firefox will run, but like
molasses, and with 4 tabs open, and one bit of javascript over the line,
it will lock-up.
That said, your ol' box can still be a good little workhorse, for the
right tasks. good luck,
djp