OpenVPN and LinkSys WRT54G

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 7 14:12:22 UTC 2009

teddy mills wrote:
> I dont even bother changing the router.
>
> On both sides of the openvpn connection, openvpn-server and
> openvpn-client I portforward 1194/udp.
>
> I pick any NAT address PC as the openvpn-server and on the other side,
> any NAT address PC as a openvpn-client.
>
> I have done this with openvpn-bridge, so I would imagine the simpler
> openvpn-routed would work in this fashion as well.
>
> I will post the way I use openvpn-setup bridge to tlug.
> I use PCKS12, so I do not bother too much with all the other cert files.

I have considered doing that, but I'd prefer having the VPN on the
router.  Also, I use a routed VPN rather than bridged.  IIRC, a bridged
VPN requires both ends to be on the same subnet, which is not possible,
as I use my VPN from a variety of locations.  With a routed VPN, I'd
also have to run the DHCP server on a local computer, so that computers
getting an IP address via DHCP can get the additional route.  The the
DHCP servers in consumer level routers do not support anything beyond a
default route.