Parallel programming

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 4 19:52:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:45 PM, William O'Higgins
Witteman<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience or can recommend a good resource for
> high-performance parallel programming?
>
> Specifically, I have been asked to help one of my colleagues parallelize
> a simulation.  Ideally I would like to be able to run it on many, many
> Linux machines via Amazon Web Services or similar service, but it would
> be great to maximize an arbitrary number of cores as well as
> physical/virtual machines.  Thanks.

I'm not even close to an expert in this area but one thing I do know
is that optimizing for many cores in a shared-memory environment is a
completely different problem from optimization for many machines in a
shared-nothing environment.  "The grid" or "the cloud" is a whole
different world from "SMP".

Ian