Parallel programming

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 4 20:39:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 12:52:08 -0700
Ian Petersen <ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:45 PM, William O'Higgins
> Witteman<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Does anyone have experience or can recommend a good resource for
> > high-performance parallel programming?
> >
> > Specifically, I have been asked to help one of my colleagues
> > parallelize a simulation.  Ideally I would like to be able to run
> > it on many, many Linux machines via Amazon Web Services or similar
> > service, but it would be great to maximize an arbitrary number of
> > cores as well as physical/virtual machines.  Thanks.
>
> I'm not even close to an expert in this area but one thing I do know
> is that optimizing for many cores in a shared-memory environment is a
> completely different problem from optimization for many machines in a
> shared-nothing environment.  "The grid" or "the cloud" is a whole
> different world from "SMP".

I'm not an expert either but just a quick note. You have what is known
as a "distributed" environment (many machines, non-shared memory, high
latency communication between agents / processes), not a "parallel"
environment (many cores/CPUs, either shared or non-shared memory, but
usually no high latency communication like a network).

Sorry, I don't have any good references on the subject, but searching
for "distributed computing", "distributed programming", or "distributed
computation" will at least point you in the right direction. Also
"grid computing" or "cloud computing" as mentioned above.

Marc

--
If builders built houses the way programmers built programs, the
first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.