OT - Being 787 issues, does this mean carbon composite has issues?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 3 17:10:39 UTC 2009

Pete Lancashire wrote:
> Large dynamic CC assembles are still very hard to work with, and
> don't behave well.
>
> The general feeling around some of my friends in Seattle is Boeing
> did not do what Boeing would have done in the past, extensive
> testing vs today relying on CAE.

It's also my belief that the underlying politics of the manufacture --
that call for major component plants and jobs scattered all over the
world -- has made the process of completing the final assembly to be
orders of magnitude more difficult than if more of the work was done in
Washington State. It's my understanding that much of the wings and
forward part of the 787 are made and shipped over from Japan, the back
stabilizer comes from Italy, and other major parts (that require
absolute precision fits) come from elsewhere.

Airbus has had the same problems -- one plant was using a different
version of the design software than another, then they lost many months
recovering from the differences found when matching up the resulting
assemblies.

IMO, until proven otherwise, this is a supply chain fsckup at least as
much as anything attributable to the composition of the materials.

- Evan