another netbook deal

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 30 21:45:23 UTC 2009

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org>
>
> | FWIW, I had been working with a VIA-based netbook that was not HP. The
> | X.org drivers for it are proprietary AND flaky, and the company shows
> | little interest in making the situation better. Even at $200 the system
> | is IMO not worth it.
>
> Thanks for the warning.
>
> Others have gotten Linux working on this machine but there appear to
> be a couple of rough spots:

One must choose between FOUR different and incompatble video drivers,
each with its own set of tradeoffs; proprietary and open source, stable
and unstable, some that support video acceleration and some that can't
even drive the external VGA.

http://www.openchrome.org/trac/wiki/About offers the POV of one of the
FOSS drivers' development group.

- Evan