another netbook deal

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 30 21:23:46 UTC 2009

| From: Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org>

| FWIW, I had been working with a VIA-based netbook that was not HP. The
| X.org drivers for it are proprietary AND flaky, and the company shows
| little interest in making the situation better. Even at $200 the system
| is IMO not worth it.

Thanks for the warning.

Others have gotten Linux working on this machine but there appear to
be a couple of rough spots:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/HP2133
http://www.hp2133guide.com/ubuntu-distro-for-the-mini-note-minbuntu/
http://extelopedia.wordpress.com/hp-2133/
http://extelopedia.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/hp2133-mini-note/

I cannot tell from these if the video situation is OK.  One thing to
consider is that Xorg is evolving at a faster rate than Xfree86 did
and binary drivers with luke-warm support are likely to force one to
stick with old Linux releases at some point.

Apparently HP shipped some 2133's with with SuSE.

Via has promised open video drivers a few times but they've often been
accused of not following through or perhaps not even understanding what
they promised.  I don't follow this closely enough to know the current
status.