Need help with 1 tb mass storage device with linux

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 28 15:22:25 UTC 2009

Dave Germiquet wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Thomas Milne
> <tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Alex Beamish <talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >> Dave,
> >>
> >> This is a long shot, but it could be that you need a special USB cable
> >> for this drive. It has two USB connections that go to a single
> >> mini-USB connector -- this provides more power that a standard USB
> >> cable.
> >>
> >> I had to order mine through Tiger Direct for my wife's 250G passport.
> >> We plugged it in and suddenly the drive worked. Would have never
> >> believed it if I hadn't seen it.
> >>
> >> Don't have a link for you right now, but it's essentially a Y cable.
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>

> > Actually, that reminded me of my experience also. I have a portable
> > multimedia drive that uses USB, and it will only work if I plug it in
> > to the connections on the back of my computer. The front connectors
> > apparently do not supply enough power.
> >
> > B.
> > --
> > The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
> >

> Thomas,
>
> Yes, I have looked at /var/log/messege and nothing showed up there. In
> fact, as I also said before, I looked at dmesg, where kernel level
> stuff tend to logged on. Nothing.

> I am not certain it has anything to do with power, as the case has a
> dc supply, so the hard disk is not running from the usb power feed.
> That usb port can see other usb peripherals, so its certainly attached
> to the motherboard.

My device has its own power supply as well. Still, it won't work through the
front USB ports on my computer, only the back. The front ports work for my iPod
and thumb drive, though. Someone on here mentioned that there can be a big
difference between the two, something to do with the way they're connected to
the motherboard.

It all sounded very similar to my experience, which is why I mention it :-)

--
Joe (Thomas, Bruce, whatever the heck ya wanna call me ;)