Need help with 1 tb mass storage device with linux

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 28 14:44:52 UTC 2009

Dave Germiquet wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Thomas Milne
> <tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Alex Beamish <talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> Dave,
>>>
>>> This is a long shot, but it could be that you need a special USB cable
>>> for this drive. It has two USB connections that go to a single
>>> mini-USB connector -- this provides more power that a standard USB
>>> cable.
>>>
>>> I had to order mine through Tiger Direct for my wife's 250G passport.
>>> We plugged it in and suddenly the drive worked. Would have never
>>> believed it if I hadn't seen it.
>>>
>>> Don't have a link for you right now, but it's essentially a Y cable.
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>> Actually, that reminded me of my experience also. I have a portable
>> multimedia drive that uses USB, and it will only work if I plug it in
>> to the connections on the back of my computer. The front connectors
>> apparently do not supply enough power.
>>
>> B.
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>>

> Thomas,
>
> Yes, I have looked at /var/log/messege and nothing showed up there. In
> fact, as I also said before, I looked at dmesg, where kernel level
> stuff tend to logged on. Nothing.
>
> I am not certain it has anything to do with power, as the case has a
> dc supply, so the hard disk is not running from the usb power feed.
> That usb port can see other usb peripherals, so its certainly attached
> to the motherboard.
>
> Now, the main question is, has anyone here been lucky with a huge
> drive on external cases. It need not be usb, I am ready to buy a
> firewire card if that seen to function reliably.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

I run a 1TB at home and a 1.5TB at work (off-site backup for each
other). Under 2.6 kernels, they work flawlessly. Both use the Vantec
series carriers, one using the new power-saving carrier.

Under 2.4, there was a shell script you could download that would
trigger a kernel re-scan of the USB/SCSI bus that would work, but it
wasn't exactly listed as a great thing to do. Under 2.2 kernels... well,
all bets are off. What kernel are you running?

Madi