Remote XWindow session

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 24 13:30:14 UTC 2009

On 24/04/09 09:24 AM, Marc Lanctot wrote:
> On 22/04/09 10:09 PM, James Knott wrote:
>> Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>>> Is it possible to set up a remote xwindow session? What I want to do is
>>> connect to a remote Linux box that has no video card, but I still want
>>> to be able to run a local KDE session controlling the remote Linux box
>>> in a rich GUI environment.
>>>
>>> Is this possible, and is this easy to setup?
>>>

>> Yes, that's one of the things Linux& Unix have done for years, with X.
>> You can run a full desktop, using XDMCP or just individual apps, with
>> SSH and X forwading. There's also stuff like VNC etc.
>>

> Rajinder,
>
> By the sounds of your message you probably want to follow what Lennart
> suggested. If you want to do that from a Windows box you'll have to
> install an implementation of X on Windows which you can find in Cygwin.
>
> For the record, if you just want to run a few apps rather than have the
> full rich GUI, you can use SSH like so:
>
> ssh -X username at host
> ssh -Y username at host
>
> (there are slight differences in the options, see man ssh).
>
> The benefit in this case is that it's all done over a secure connection
> (I don't think straight X is secure, but I don't know for sure).

I should have mentioned two more things:

1. Once you're connected to the remote host any programs you start with
X will be sent through SSH (obvious, I guess).

2. Your remote host has to enable X11 forwarding through SSH. Make sure
its /etc/ssh/sshd_config has:
    X11Forwarding yes
if not, enable it, and restart ssh:
    /etc/init.d/ssh restart

Marc

--
Somehow he was trying too hard to be like them.
   -- The Strokes