Remote XWindow session

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 24 13:24:34 UTC 2009

On 22/04/09 10:09 PM, James Knott wrote:
> Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> Is it possible to set up a remote xwindow session? What I want to do is
>> connect to a remote Linux box that has no video card, but I still want
>> to be able to run a local KDE session controlling the remote Linux box
>> in a rich GUI environment.
>>
>> Is this possible, and is this easy to setup?
>>

> Yes, that's one of the things Linux&  Unix have done for years, with X.
> You can run a full desktop, using XDMCP or just individual apps, with
> SSH and X forwading.  There's also stuff like VNC etc.

Rajinder,

By the sounds of your message you probably want to follow what Lennart
suggested. If you want to do that from a Windows box you'll have to
install an implementation of X on Windows which you can find in Cygwin.

For the record, if you just want to run a few apps rather than have the
full rich GUI, you can use SSH like so:

   ssh -X username at host
   ssh -Y username at host

(there are slight differences in the options, see man ssh).

The benefit in this case is that it's all done over a secure connection
(I don't think straight X is secure, but I don't know for sure).

The X programs send their graphic display commands to the host that you
connected from, which means it has to have an X server running on it to
display your programs. So, if you're connecting from a Windows machine
you'd probably have to do it through Cygwin.

Marc

--
Somehow he was trying too hard to be like them.
   -- The Strokes