My Green Earth Day Suggestion

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 24 13:11:48 UTC 2009

On 23/04/09 09:20 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 09:29:13PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>>
>> | From: Marc Lanctot<lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>
>> | To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
>> | Subject: Re: [TLUG]: My Green Earth Day Suggestion
>>
>> Interestingly, Marc, your text shows as wider than 80 columns in my
>> MUA (Alpine -- pure text).  But if I ask to see it raw, your lines are
>> appropriately short.  I think that the key is format=flowed in the
>> Content-Type header.
>>
>> Not a complaint, just an observation.  It looked like you were a
>> hypocrite, so that is why I investigated :-)

How many columns do my message display at? Are they longer than everyone
else's or just greater than 80? Specifically, do other messages (without
format=flowed) show at less than 80? Is it one paragraph per line?

According to [1] the format=flowed gets put in there to give hints to
the MUA on the other end about how to format/view the quoted text. Maybe
Alpine makes wider than 80 char lines in this case. I guess it's a
setting in Alpine?

Does anybody know if this format=flowed thing is a standard written
about in an RFC somewhere? Should I turn it off?

> Well in mutt, Marc's messages are very nice, and I haven't seen a line
> over 80 characters so far.

Somehow I feel flattered. Is that wrong? :-p

> I have never seen format=flowed in the headers before, although I never
> looked for it either.

[1] http://joeclark.org/ffaq.html

Marc

--
Somehow he was trying too hard to be like them.
   -- The Strokes