My Green Earth Day Suggestion

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 25 00:20:36 UTC 2009

| From: Marc Lanctot <lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>

| How many columns do my message display at? Are they longer than everyone
| else's or just greater than 80? Specifically, do other messages (without
| format=flowed) show at less than 80? Is it one paragraph per line?

I can change the width of my xterm and alpine knows about the change.
Just for fun, I'm typing this in a 429 column window.

Pine "flows" the text of your message to match the window.  So this is
fine for reading.  It is perhaps even better than having the author
break lines before column 80 -- for example, if I want to read in a 40
column xterm, it will be formatted nicely.

When I do a reply, quoting the flowed message, it keeps the quoted
lines to 80 characters or less (as you can see).  So that too is great.
Note: the line breaks are not the same ones as in the original
message.