OO equiv to MS Publisher?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 22 16:22:52 UTC 2009

2009/4/22 Mr Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org>:
> The machine I use for Internet and everything else is a Linux box. Is GiMP
> so much harder than Photoshop that I'm going to regret trying to use it
> instead?

The GIMP is free, Photoshop is hundreds of dollars.  Photoshop
advocates will tell you that it's more "user friendly" than the GIMP,
but I think this is much more an issue of which application you
learned first.  I personally learned on the GIMP, and to this day I
find it easier to use.  I have to use Photoshop at work and it does
one or two things better (graphical scripting comes to mind) but other
commands are painfully hard to use.  If you really want Photoshop but
can't afford it (not your case), or you really want to use the GIMP
but want it more Photoshop-like, look at gimpshop
(http://www.gimpshop.com/).

For you, since you seem to have access to a free(-ish) copy of
Photoshop, you have two things you should consider: which is easier
for you to use - and here, I mean mostly which OS is more convenient -
and will using the GIMP make it difficult to exchange files with your
PSD-supplying friend.  It sounds like you'd be better off doing your
work on the Linux computer, and thus the GIMP is probably the better
choice.  I also consider it a better choice because it's going to
remain free and you can share it with your kids and friends, but
that's a personal thing.  I can't speak to the file format thing
having never tried to swap files between GIMP and Photoshop.

Not sure about the Bazooka thing: you should be able to install the
font (may be a bit of a pain, but should be do-able) but I don't know
if that will fix the unable-to-edit problem ...

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org