GiMP vs Photoshop (Re: OO equiv to MS Publisher?)

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 22 16:18:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
> I stripped off the attachment and am resending it. Is it
> because the attachment was too big (almost a MB)? I just want
> to know for future reference.

IMHO it is a bad idea anyway to send a large attachment to a
mailing list since you require everybody to accomodate it (use
bandwidth to receive it, use mailbox quota, or even download
it), where not everybody may want to see it.

Better upload the attachment somewhere and sent a link to it.

> I'd like to change this thread name to 'GiMP vs Photoshop'. I
> don't know the exact format for the subject line: such and
> such WAS > so and so or whatever.

Just change it, there, I just did. IMHO there is no specific
rule on relate to the previous one, so if you hesitant just
replace the whole subject with new one since your subject is
completely different anyway.

> Anyway, the teacher that's helping me with the poster has a
> licence that allows him to give copies of Photoshop to other
> teachers (of which I am one).

Photoshop can only run in Windows or can only run in OS X.

> He made a rough poster for me to look at. I opened it in linux
> and it opened automatically in GiMP. Of course, that made me
> wonder if I should edit it with GiMP instead of Photoshop. I
> mean I don't know either apps so what's the difference?

AFAIK it is GIMP. GIMP is quite powerful image / raster graphic
editor / manipulator. That said there are some high-end Adobe
Photoshop feature (notably colour management support) and tools
not supported by GIMP as yet, and its interface (menu, toolbars,
etc.) is quite different.

If your need is modest (e.g. not creating a full page artwork
for magazine printing), then GIMP probably good. Additionaly
there is GIMPshop that give Photoshop interface to GIMP
(unfortunately not updated for awhile).

> P.S. here's the .psd that I can't edit- do I need Bazooka? Is
> that the only thing stopping me from editing it?

I think if you don't have that font, it will just be replaced by
other font. Now it is depend on you how faithful the rendering
need of your poster.

--
    ____  ____  ____  ____ (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo
   /___  /___/ /___/ /___      http://www.arifsaha.com/