No O/S as a right more than ever

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 21 23:29:07 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:37:55PM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> No, I think it's just that you're misunderstanding what people are saying.
>
> I agree with you that the Windows monopoly is absurd. I dare say that
> most people on here agree with that. Does that mean that HP should be
> legally required to fight the monopoly? I don't know about that.
>
> The thing is, you _do_ have a choice. You may not like the choice you
> have, but you do have one. You can very easily find another vendor who
> will sell you a laptop without Windows installed. Since HP is
> therefore _not_ forcing you to buy their laptop with Windows
> installed, there is really no case to be made against them. Is it a
> stupid business decision? I don't know, HP seems to be doing alright.
> Should you write them a long and detailed letter about why their
> decision is wrong? Sure. Why not.
>
> I still don't understand what the big deal is about HP. I can
> guarantee you there are other vendors who can supply you with a
> superior laptop at a comparable price. Hell, Lennart can probably tell
> you off the top of his head where you can buy one right now ;)

If it has to not come with windows, then no I can't.  I am more of a
desktop/server guy.

Now for a nice laptop that runs linux well, well I just bought one about
two hours ago.

So I just got (well in about 2 weeks I suppose I will):

ThinkPad SL500
Nvidia GeForce G105M 256MB video
1GB ram (much cheaper to buy 2x2GB from canadacomputers afterwards)
Core2Duo P8600 (2.4GHz 25W with VT-d)
15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050) display
250GB 5400rpm disk
DVD writer
UPEX fingerprint scanner
UVC webcam
intel 5100 abgn wireless
gigabit ethernet
6 cell battery (9 cell weighs more and costs an extra $50).
vga and hdmi output
firewire
SD card reader
modem
touchpad and ibm stick thingy with 3 buttons
Vista home basic (lowest option they have, and they sure don't pay much for that)

A quick search has determined that everything (including wifi, SD card
reader, webcam, fingerprint scanner, and even the hotkeys) work almost out
of the box with modern ubuntu or debian.  All you need is an application
for the hotkeys, everything else just works (and on debian you have to
download the firmware file for the intel 5100 wifi, but the driver is
there already).  The modem is unknown, but so what.

Normal price $1169, on sale for $1093, and then they have a 10% of coupon
called BIGCAPsomething, or if you read redflagdeals, you find another
coupon for 15% off called CAPSL500RFD, so I used that.  Total cost $930 +
tax and free shipping.  Coupon is good for the first 250 orders, or
until thursday sometime.

My first new computer for myself ever.  Whee!

--
Len Sorensen