No O/S as a right more than ever

I. Khider contact-uc+NVM1kvX9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 21 03:36:05 UTC 2009

Greetings fellow Linux enthusiasts,

Notwisthstanding the comments I received on this list, nobody convinced
me that major manufacturers are right to build computers solely around
the Windows operating system. The idea of building whole industries
around one proprietary operating system is absurd. About as absurd as
saying that monetary parametres are the sole means of defining what is
right and wrong. Allow me to illustrate a simple case in point, I
elected to acquire a business class laptop. Most manufacturers have a
business class models such as HP, Toshiba (the pro and tecra lines) or
any other manufacturer. In the corporate/institutional/technical world
linux/uninx is the standard, not Windows. Be it supply chain management,
hospitals, infrastructure or whathaveyou. To sell laptops based around
the Windows operating system in this category is counterproductive to
the corporate/infrastructural/public service world at large. It just
makes sense to offer no O/S as an option in this area.

The simple issue is manufacturers say you must pay for Windows, whether
you need it or not, and that is flat out wrong. Companies once had a
policy that dumping toxic byproducts in the environment was perfectly
acceptible behaviour until citizens lobbied governments to legislate
otherwise. Consumer advocacy can be positive and help companies develop
positive policies--even if comapnies are against what consumers advocate
in the short term, in the long run they could be doing said companies a
favor.

I thought this was the Linux users group! Surely my views are not
counterintuitive here.

-I-