No OS as a right

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 20 22:33:46 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 06:10:50PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> I don't use Bluetooth -- but I recently bought a laptop that had
> built-in Bluetooth. That extra electronics (and potential battery drain)
> I was prepared to pay "extra" for, because I liked the rest of the total
> package (keyboard, weight, peripheral slots, Linux device support,
> company reputation, reliability, etc.) It's not AT ALL that I'm too
> "shy" to ask for a system without Bluetooth. I simply made the decision
> that one overall package of features was a better value than its
> alternatives. That occasionally means -- in a car, a camera, or a
> computer -- paying for features I don't want in order to get the
> features I really do need.

Exactly.

I would love a laptop in a solid metal case, with a 20" LCD with 1920x1200
resolution, preferably a nice PVA panel, 1TB diskspace, 8GB ram, quad
core cpu, firewire, usb, esata, blueray, wireless abgn, perfect linux
support for all the hardware, weighing 2 pounds and having a 10 hour
battery life, and costing $299.  I am not going to get one.  Doesn't
matter how much I whine, no one is going to build one and sell it to me
like that.  You can buy what you can get, or you can buy nothing.
If what you want does not exist then you don't get to buy it.

--
Len Sorensen