No OS as a right

I. Khider contact-uc+NVM1kvX9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 21 01:12:20 UTC 2009

Hello all,

As I get responses from you (thank you very much) I would like you to
look at this issue beyond HP and apply it to all manufacturers. To their
credit, HP had a policy where they voided harware warranties if Linux
was installed, which they since rescinded. This policy should be
applicable to any manufacturer across the board, be it Dell, Sony,
Toshiba, Ummagumma, whatever. The reason no O/S is available as an an
option manufacturers in other countries is because consumers were active
to voice their concerns and make a change.

Some said 'vote with dollars', I respectfully submit that this is not
possible to do in Canada at this time. For instance, with Dell, only
select models have Ubuntu installed. What if I wanted a model where
Ubuntu is not an option? Such is the case--the computers I want have
Windows installed. A consumer ought to purchase ANY model from ANY
manufacturer and decide whether s/he wishes to have the Windows O/S.

I do not think this is asking for the moon. In our society, we should
have choice.

-I-