No OS as a right

Matthew Middleton matt-oC+CK0giAiYdmIl+iVs3AywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 20 20:30:05 UTC 2009

I'm no expert in the legal arena, but I don't think small claims is the
answer.

First, did they claim or promise to make Linux available, or to offer the
model you want with no O/S?  If not, they're not really on the hook.  Think
of it this way: If you were buying a car made by GM, you couldn't really go
after them if you wanted a Honda engine installed instead.  As well, they
are under no obligation to sell you an engine-less car (for equal or less
cost), as that's not an option that they offer.  They're not under any legal
obligations to offer you anything more or less than what they choose to
sell.

Second, it seems like a lot of effort and stress to make a point that could
be made much more easily - vote with your money.  Buy a laptop from a vendor
who WILL ship with Linux.  Even if it's not the distro you want, it's not
likey you'll be paying for the O/S anyway.  Another good strategy is to
write them a letter, informing them of your decision, as well as the fact
that you will be sure to encourage others NOT to buy HP.  Word of mouth
counts for a lot, and if you blog about it, mention it to your social
circle, etc., it might just surprise you how effective it can be.

All the above is just my opinion, so please feel free to take it with a
grain or two of salt :)