No OS as a right

I. Khider contact-uc+NVM1kvX9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 21 00:05:49 UTC 2009

Greetings fellow Linux enthusiasts,

As some of you may know, I am in an ongoing battle with HP (because I
like their product) to have no O/S on my laptop as an option like they
do in Europe, US, Australia, etc.. HP thinks it is fine to make a
consumer pay for the Windows O/S when s/he does not need it. Microsoft
stated a rebate for the O/S is availble for those who do not agree to
the Microsoft End User Licence Agreement. However, only the manufacturer
can apply for the rebate, not the consumer.

I spoke with the Better Business Bureau and they stated the complaint
was out of their jurisdiction.
I also spoke with the competition Bureau who stated that no competition
rules are being violated by forcing the consumer to pay for Windows. The
consumer can always install Linux after paying for Windows, so what's
the problem?

HP said they will only change their policy if it will impact their
sales. As it stands, Linux users are too shy to ask for the Windows OS
be removed. Linux users (it seems) in fact like to pay for Windows.

Perhaps I am on naiive for thinking this, but I do not want to pay for
something I do not need. In this case the Windows O/S. It has been
suggested I buy the laptop and take HP to Small Claims Court and get the
OS cost back that way. Two people from TLUG advocate this course of
action--can anyone else give feedback on this?

Thanks in advance,

Ib Khider