restating network

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 17 14:01:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:10:52PM -0700, Dev Guy wrote:
> I am running Linux inside my Windows in VMWare =) ...let the flames begin!
>
> OK it's a great way for me to learn Linux, but I have noticed at time Linux will have any network connection.
>
> I know enough to use ifconfig to see if my eth0 card is up and running. Today I had to add eth0 after bootup using ipconfig, but noticed only a ipv6 address and not the ipv4 was assigned. Thus no network access for me.
>
> So my question is how to I reinit the network so I can get internet working? I am having to reboot to fix this but it get's annoying at times.

VMware on windows has an annoying tendancy to mess up bridged ethernet
if your physical computer has multiple network ports.  The result is
that for no apparent reason you no longer have networking, but a reboot
often fixes it.

Best you can do is go assign one of the vmnet interfaces explicitly
to the physical port you want bridged into linux, and then change the
virtual network adapter in your vm to that new vmnet interface.

Strangely I have never seen the linux version of vmware make this mistake.

--
Len Sorensen