Flattening a website

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 16 20:20:36 UTC 2009

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I have a strange, interesting problem.  I have a dynamic website which
> is going to stop being dynamic - it will no longer be updated in the
> future, but we'd like to keep it up and running, rather than going dark.
>
> The dynamic nature of the site is pretty simple - just a content
> management system.
>
> I was wondering - could you put squid in front of this site, hit it with
> a crawler, and then replace the old site with the contents of the cache?
> Is this a sane approach?
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks!

Others have suggested wget, which is a perfectly plausible way to do it,
but for future reference and the benefit of those who might also be
interested in something like this, both Django and Plone have ways of
flattening a site. That would be of interest if you wanted to continue
enjoying the benefits of a CMS but deploying a static site for whatever
reason. You can then treat Django or CMS as a static page generator that
offers clean separation of content from markup, unlike a tool like
Dreamweaver.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay