Getting Wordpress up on the server via mysql

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 15 14:33:24 UTC 2009

On 15/04/09 02:22 PM, I. Khider wrote:
> Hello Marc,
>
> I ran the instructions to the letter and got a blank page for my efforts
> (five minutes my arse!):

Does "View Page Source" in your browser give you a completely blank page?

What's wordpress written in? If it's PHP, you might want to turn on full
error reporting. In php.ini, make sure you have:

   error_reporting  =  E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

To find where php.ini is, you can find out which linux distro you have
there, and use the distro's tools to find where php.ini is hidden. 85%
of the time this can be done via either:
   uname -a
   cat /etc/redhat-release
   cat /etc/debian-version

or simply do a locate php.ini or cd / && find . -name php.ini

> http://www.feedbackmonitor.com/blog/
>
> I went the mysql route as I figured that was the easiest, not really.
>
> When I run install.php, no tables are created.

Any error message?

> I asked tera-byte support and got
>
> "You already have a MySQL user (the username is the same as the site admin
> username). You set a password in the MySQL management section of the admin
> site (not in phpMyAdmin), you would create a database there as well (if you
> have not already)."
>
> Am I going the wrong direction here as this is suddenly getting more
> complex than the five minute install advertised. I am thinking the
> correct solution must be the simplest, and when things are getting
> complex, I am on the wrong path.
>
> Am I too vague here?

What are the contents of wp-config.php?

On the host, try, as root:

   mysql -h localhost -p

and use the password you think is correct. Does that get you into the
DB? (This is using the mysql client directly; if this works, then it
should work from PHP if the scripts have the correct username and
password info.)

Marc

--
Curiosity is the scholar's virtue.