scary things at CRTC

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 9 11:21:19 UTC 2009

Madison Kelly wrote:
>> To me, I see anyone who dismisses the beliefs, or lack thereof, of
>> others with simple adjectives like "insane" as being equal foolish
>> and close-minded.
>>
>> Madi
>
> What I meant by this is that when someone simply dismisses someone
> else's views, beliefs, opinions or what have you out of hand, it
> closes the door on discussion, hurts people's feelings and results in
> people getting defensive. (run on sentence much?)
>
> I was raised Catholic and when I left the church I was angry. I mean
> Livid. I thought all religion was crap, that it's followers were
> simply idiots.
>
> It wasn't until I calmed the heck down and actually *talked* to people
> of various faiths that I was able to see the value in religion. I
> still have no time for the organizations behind major religions, but
> individual people's faith I can respect, if not agree with.
>
> That's all I was trying to get at. Talk to people who believe things
> you don't, don't simply shut them down with petty name calling.

All I ask is they show some evidence to support their claims.  So far,
the evidence has been going the other way.  Also, it is very easy for
people to delude themselves into believing something.  As an example,
you may have heard of "miracles" where a statue or picture of the virgin
Mary cried.  Examination of such events show they are fraudulent.  Yet,
despite the fraud being proven, some people still insist it was a
miracle.  Their faith causes them to believe in a proven lie.