scary things at CRTC

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 8 22:42:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 01:37:20PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> What I meant by this is that when someone simply dismisses someone
> else's views, beliefs, opinions or what have you out of hand, it closes
> the door on discussion, hurts people's feelings and results in people
> getting defensive. (run on sentence much?)

I will happily listen to peoples views and opinions.  I don't care one
bit about their beliefs, because those really can't be argued or backed
up by anything and are hence irrelevant.

> I was raised Catholic and when I left the church I was angry. I mean
> Livid. I thought all religion was crap, that it's followers were simply
> idiots.

I think I was vaguely raised protestant.  As I grew up and got a clue
I realised it was all inconsistent and pointless.

> It wasn't until I calmed the heck down and actually *talked* to people
> of various faiths that I was able to see the value in religion. I still
> have no time for the organizations behind major religions, but
> individual people's faith I can respect, if not agree with.

I don't think religion has any value that can't equaly be provided through
communities that have nothing to do with believe or faith or any other
religious aspects.  This is not to say religion doesn't provide that
value, just that I don't think providing that value does anything to
overcome the harm it causes.  Perhaps someone could explain what value
it does provide (preferably value which couldn't be provided without
the religious bits).

> That's all I was trying to get at. Talk to people who believe things you
> don't, don't simply shut them down with petty name calling.

As I said above, belief really isn't relevant.  It has nothing to do
with facts and has no way to be argued.

Name calling is unnecesary of course.

--
Len Sorensen