ifconfig data interpretation

colin davidson colinpdavidson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 2 16:41:38 UTC 2009

"Frame" means framing error. On Ethernet, this can be a number of different
things. If a packet is started sooner than allowed by the mandatory Inter
Packet Gap, you have a framing error. If the packet is longer than the
maximum allowed length, you have a framing error. If the packet is not a
multiple of eight bit times in lenght, you have a framing error. There are
probably other conditions as well - anything that isn't a valid ethernet
frame will cause this error.